THE RED SOIL VILLAGES
If you are planning a conference for over a thousand people or only for a few, Cyprus has it all covered. Having hosted events for heads of Government, companies, associations and now as the Member of the European Union holding the Presidency, you can be sure we have all the facilities and experience to cater for all needs. Professional conference organizers are on standby to ensure the success of your event by taking care of everything on your behalf. With a glowing reputation that precedes us for professionalism and first rate service, Cyprus has become a distinguished setting for conferences both small and simple and large and complex. The quality amenities on offer include different sized conference rooms furnished with the latest conferencing technology. Choose from the many quality hotels with their well earned reputation for great service offer the opportunity to stay and relax in the same setting as your conference. Relax before and after your meetings; play tennis, have a sauna, rejuvenate yourself in health spas, bathe in swimming pools or the beach, or lunch in picturesque gardens.
With a population of 1,500 people, Sotira has taken its name from a church, situated in the centre of the village which is dedicated to the transfiguration of Jesus Christ the Saviour (Sotira in Greek means saviour). The church displays excellent examples of post Komninian art (13th – 16th centuries), Near the east entrance of the village stands Ayios Mamas, which is initially built in the 12th century and later rebuilt in the 16th century. The present frescoes dated back also to the 16th century. About 16 miles to the west lays the cruciform of Panayia Khordajiotissa, which also is dated backs to the 15th century. Its dome has been restored. A third church bearing the name of St. George is found in the area, which is an early Christian three aisle Syrian-type basilica. In the city of Sotira there is also a small Ecclesiastical Museum worth visiting.
Agia Thekla is a small beach named after the old small church which is there. Situated a few kilometres from Agia Napa, it is covered with fine golden sand. Get married at Ayia Thekla Beach, and have a beach wedding with your feet in the sand. Imagine the sand between your toes, the wind blowing gently from the sea and sharing your big day with family and friends. The Ayia Thekla even has it's own reception venue adjacent - the Nissaki Taverna.
The church of Ayios Georgios Chortakion is of cruciform with a dome. Built in the early 12th century and later in the same century added splint and as a cruciform church with a dome. Originally the church was decorated with frescoes, of which very few survive in poor condition. On the south wall of the narthex there are boats painted in charcoal on the wall. In the area there was a settlement and it seems that this church was a parish church of the old settlement of Chortakion, whose residents fled to the Savior after pirates.
The chapel of Saint Mamas (Ayios Mamas) dating to the early 16th century. This is a small single-domed church, Franco type. The church was in the west narthex and north and south portico, which have however been destroyed. On the south wall is built outside blind arched bow "by way arcosolia" covering the tomb of the founder. The church was decorated with wall paintings dated to the end of the 16th century. Unfortunately, most have been destroyed. On the northwest side are the coats of arms of the founder, the lower upright lion and a fish. The eyes of individual Saints have mined malicious. According to local tradition, two Turks fled to the church to protect themselves from the rain. One began taking the eyes of the Saints using a knife. When they came out of the temple, the two Turks became blind, by a branch of pomegranate which suddenly came to their eyes.
Located by the sea built the chapel of St. Thekla. In the area have been identified ruins of early Christian basilica with mosaics but damaged. Ayia Thekla served as a convent in 1937. Many of the icons are painted in occupied monastery of St. Barnavas. Catacomb of Ayia Thecla (Roman) West of the chapel of Ayia Thekla is carved underground church. This is probably an ancient tomb converted into a church in the middle Byzantine period or during the Frankish as over the entrance bears an incised cross.
The church of St. Theodore marshal is ruined. Belongs to the type of one-aisled church with a dome with a narthex subsequently added. The church was decorated with frescoes were destroyed when it crashed. Remarkable are two frescoes in the narthex of St. Elpidoforou from the group of Saints Akindinon and another undiagnosed St., dating to the early 12th century.
Weddings at the Poseidon Beach venue in Sotira, Cyprus... close to the Ayia Thekla Beach venue and close to the Nissaki Beach Taverna, which is ideal for a following wedding reception. This beach wedding venue offers a 'feet in the sand' experience for those couples who desire it. It's an extremely affordable option and ideal for wedding groups, families and friends looking for a laid back and relaxed wedding abroad.
The new church of the Transfiguration is built next to the old church, the Byzantine style and was built to solve the problem faced by residents for comfortable churchgoing. Work on the construction of the church began in 1935 and ended with the help of God despite financial difficulties in early 1939. The inauguration of the temple took place by Archbishop Makarios in 1955. In the church are two major religious feasts. The Feast of the Transfiguration on August 6 and Sunday Palm Sunday before Easter Sunday.
From the monastery of Panagia Chordakiotissa, today survives only universal and north of the temple ruins cells and a well. The church is single-aisled with a dome and was decorated with frescoes which unfortunately were destroyed. Few traces have survived as the Virgin in the type of solicitation. Dating back to the late 12th century. From the church come two old pictures of Christ and the Virgin Hodegetria of the 16th century and Maria Chordakiotissa, 1853 work of the school of John Cornaro of Crete. In times of drought the residents did procession with the image seen Rainmaker.
The chapel of St. George is a stone-built, single-aisle, vaulted church, built on the site of an earlier temple. According to information from father George Ioannou, when residents in 1899 gathered in the temple ruins then to commit Liturgy built a tent with sheets to shade or cover roughly the area. Strong rain caused them problems and decided to build a new temple. South of the church were found burials. In the space of the church operates today the ecclesiastical museum of the community, setting out important ecclesiastical treasures as sacred images, old forms Gospels, liturgical books, crosses, liturgical vessels and others.
Is a family owned and run microbrewery in Sotira Famagusta and they simply love beer!! They are “Home brewers with full control of their product” according to Loizos. It is one of the most modern and technologically advanced Microbreweries in Europe with the edge of technology equipment, full quality control of their product and 100% environmentally friendly. They produce 100% natural beer with absolutely no chemicals used during the whole process of brewing.
Men & Women pick up potatoes in a field during harvesting near Sotira village in Cyprus. Warm days and cool nights make for perfect harvesting weather. The daily temperature swings help produce a good crop. Farmers have been getting equipment and storage areas ready, and although the tractors and harvesters have changed over the years, the results remain the same: big, brown and meaty potatoes.
A small town next to Famagusta. Originally the village was called Yerinia but the people in their everyday use of the language changed it to Derynia. History tells us that there is a strong possibility that settlers arriving from Yerinia to Cyprus after the Trojan War established a settlement, naming it after their mother city.
In the city there are three churches, which would be of interest to those who appreciate Byzantine art. The 15th century church of Ayia Marina Manayia, a church dedicated to the Holy mother, preserving some 17th century icons and finally, just near the town centre, stands the church of Ayios Georgios, a small mediaeval church. In Derynia there is also a Folk Art Museum of great interest.
Deryneia holds by far the first place in strawberry cultivation and production category in Cyprus. The Strawberry Festival is organised every two years by Deryneia Municipality, in cooperation with the Cyprus Strawberry Farmers. Thousands of visitors, locals and foreigners alike, attend the festival every year, where they are offered free fresh strawberries, strawberry juice, jam, liquor, candy, ice cream, etc. Products are produced with much love and passion by the farmers & their spouses. Several groups operate kiosks at the festival offering various dishes and drinks and guests are able to enjoy a rich cultural program.
Open Air Traditional Folk Art Museum
The Open Air Traditional Folk Art Museum is located on No. 3 Dimitri Liberty Street opposite Deryneia Folk Art Museum.
It includes exhibition spaces / rooms dedicated to traditional professions such as "Furniture Maker", "Carpenter", "Shoe Maker", "Tailor", "Blacksmith", "Builder", "Barber", "Sculptor", “Fisherman", "Farmer" etc.
In the semi-outdoor areas, there are also exhibitions of traditional items. Civil marriages and cultural events are organised.
Summer: Monday - Saturday excluding holidays 9:00 to 13:00 & 15:00 to 18:00
Winter: Monday - Saturday excluding holidays 9:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 17:00
Entrance Fee’s: € 2/Person - Groups € 1/Person
The Deryneia Folk Art Museum is hosted in an old traditional house and is located on 2 Dimitri Liberty Street. Apart from the equipment you would find in a traditional Cypriot house, agricultural tools used by a traditional farming family.
The Deryneia Folk Art Museum is hosted in an old traditional house and is located on 2 Dimitri Liberty Street. Apart from the equipment you would find in a traditional Cypriot house, agricultural tools used by a traditional farming family. Folk Art Museum cyprus map Old Vergin Mary Nativity Church Old Vergin Mary Nativity Church The old church of the Birth of the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) is located in the centre of Deryneia. It was built in the late 15th or early 16th century. Inside, the church is decorated with beautiful wooden carved iconostasis dating from 1911.
Located in Deryneia Central Square. It is dedicated to Saint George and was built in the late 15th or early 16th century.
Located next to B΄ Elementary School and includes a playground and a cafe. The park also accommodates all traditional ways of pumping water.
Deryneia Farmers Market operates every Saturday from 7:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. & is housed in the area of the former military barracks, next to ‘Anagennisis’ Stadium. Farmers offer directly to consumers fresh and high quality Cypriot products.
The Municipal Amphitheatre is located on Heroon street, next to the Municipal Park / Playground. It has a capacity of 800 seats. It has all the necessary infrastructure required and in the summer hosts many cultural, artistic and theatrical performances.
Deryneia Municipality has recently created a park dedicated to alternative activities including a sophisticated track Skateboard, an activity park with games for children and outdoor fitness. The park is located next to "Anagennisis" stadium in Deryneia.
Achna Forest (Dasaki Achnas) is a continuation of the occupied village of Achna which was created after the Turkish invasion of 1974. Presently the population is about 2,500.
This monument is dedicated to the refugees and missing persons. The monument symbolizes the first church that was erected which was a tent, and to all the missing persons from the 1974 invasion of Cyprus.
This is a ancient church which is part of the Heritage monuments.
a unique natural living habitat which is visited by various migrating birds. It was completed in 1988 with a capacity to hold 6,000,000m3 of water with a depth of 6m. The water is used mainly for agricultural purposes.
This park is near thw Achna Dam. There is a small animal zoo, playground, cafeteria and restaurant. There are also donkey rides around the dam.
Achna Speedway is the first car and bike track in Cyprus since 2011. The track is 2.2 km and it consists of numerous turns. It is suitable for Dragster, Drift, Go Karts, Motorbikes, Go Karts and Stunt Bikes. Achna Speedway has many facilities to offer both the driver and spectator.
It has been named after the Lusignan monks that lived in Panayia of Hortanion, a nearby monastery and they were called Fremenors, as the Cypriot author Nearchos Klerides mentions in his book “Villages and Cities of Cyprus”. The monks could not support themselves and in 1468 they turned to Jacob, the Lusignan King of Cyprus who gave them a substantial sum of money.
The village of Frenaros has its own Byzantine churches. Two of them, the Agios Andronikos and the Archangelos Michael dated back to the 12th century. The church of Ayia Marina has also some interesting frescoes.
Situated in the middle of the village, Archangel Michael is a single-aisle shrinkage crisscross church with a dome. According to its morphological elements and the frescoes of Archangel Gabriel on the north arch which is supporting the dome, the church is dated way back in the 12th century. In the west there is a semi circle arch that was later was extended to build the split (narthex) and the vaulted propylon. All the church additions are dated in the Frankish period because as it can be also seen on the inauguration stone on the north wall the church was used as a Catholic church. In 1873 a new entrance was opened on the north wall along with new openings on the propylon. The walls were built of curved sandy stone (porolithos) filled up with lime mud. The dome and the roof are without tiles and both sides are finished with lime mud (kurasanit). The whole masonry is very nice and it is believed that the church was built by stone builders’ specialists. The new church of Archangel Michael was built in 1969 with the capacity of accommodating between 200 and 250 believers. Furthermore, in the new church of Archangel Michael, there is an icon dedicated to the Virgin Mary of Saydanaya, Byzantine in art, which dates from the 14th century. This icon is known in Cyprus as "Panagia (Virgin Mary) of Hunting". The existence of this icon in Cyprus indicates that the Virgin Mary of Saydanaya in Syria was once famous on the island, which means that in the past many Cypriot pilgrims would have had traveled to the well known not only to Christians but also Muslims Monastery of the Virgin Mary of Saydanaya in Syria. At the bottom end of this huge icon in Frenaros, three persons are depicted who are the donors and they probably ordered the icon after some miracle was made to them by the Virgin Mary of Saydanay during a pilgrimage to the monastery in Syria.
Fotis Pittas memorial was commissioned by the Cypriot Organization of Greek Teachers (ΠΟΕΔ/ POED) and the Frenaros Community and it was unveiling on February 26, 1961. The memorial is located in the center of the village and the small museum that exhibits some of the personal belongings of the hero such as clothes, letters and teaching instruments is located at the heroes family home. This memorial is dedicated to the EOKA Hero and Guerrilla Fighter Fotis Pitta who fought along with other Greek Cypriots during the liberation struggle against the British colonists. Fotis Pitta was born in the village of Frenaros, Famagusta District, on February 28, 1935 and was the third of six children of Stavros and Maria Pitta. Even thought his dream to study at the Evelpidon Military Academy did not come true due to some mistake on his birth certificate (very common at that time) he managed to graduate from the Morphou Teaching College (1953-1955) and thereafter to be appointed as a primary school teacher at the Achna village in the Famagusta District. Fotis joined the liberation struggle of the National Organization of Cypriot Fighters (EOKA) while still an undergraduate student at the Morphou Teaching College. With the beginning of the guerilla war on the 1st Day of April 1955 Fotis was found leading the guerilla teams in Achna area where he was teaching as well. On October 18, 1956 Fotis has be betrayed to the British military authorities and as a fugitive he has been forced to give up teaching and continue his brave struggle. On January 10, 1957 Fotis was arrested in the Vatyli Village in Famagusta District and thereafter led to Kokkinotrimithia and Pyla detention facilities. Fotis managed to escape together with another three inmates, Andreas Karyos, Christakis Tryfonides and Frixos Demetriades. On July 17 1958 he visited for last time his family and on August 30, 1958 he was found in Liopetri with his fellow fighters Andreas Karyos, Christos Samara and Elias Papakyriakou to give one of the most epic battles of EOKA. After three days of continues unsuccessful attempts the British military forces managed to surround the Barn that the four Heroes were hiding and repeatedly asked the to surrender. The four heroes refused to surrender and the British forces attempted to set the barn on fire in order to force the four heroes to come out. The end was written with the four heroes exiting the barn and falling heroically. Fotis funeral took place the next day in his community in Frenaros.
Agios Andronikos Church is a very small chapel (5.51m. X 3.65m.) situated approximately three kilometers to the east of the village. This 12th century church is shrinkage crisscross type with a dome. The walls of the church were built with coarse and curved sandy stone pieces (porolithos). The masonry is so good that it gives elegance to the church. The dome's light structure and its four small windows it gives the sense of rising to the heaven. The remains of the frescoes indicate the fact that all the walls were covered with frescoes. In the cup of the dome you could find the Ascension of Christ instead of the Christ Pantokrator you usually find in Cyprus churches. On the arch was the Virgin. Even though you can only see the ruins, the rectangular narthex on the west was build very later.
This single-aisled and barrel-vaulted church is situated approximately five kilometers southwest from Frenaros village. The church's barrel vault is supported by two arches that are resting on braces. The covered area of the church is 17.5 times 6.3 meters with the corners of the walls being built with curved rectangular stones and the rest of the walls being built with stones selected from the surrounding area. The barrel-vault above the narthex is taller which means that the narthex was built later. In the church there are still remains of wall paintings. On the west wall there is a Crucifixion similar to that of Saint Andronikos Church. On the south wall we can recognize the Dormition of the Virgin Mary and on the narthex's east wall we can see Saint Paraskevi. According to its morphological elements and its frescoes the church is dated either back on the late 15th or early 16th century.
In honor of those killed and missing since the Turkish invasion in 1974, the community of Frenaros erected the 1974 War Dead and Missing People Memorial which is located next to the Community Hall. The memorial is dedicated to the Brave Men of Frenaros who either were killed or still missing since the Turkish invasion in 1974.
Brave Men of Frenaros
- Demetris Vraka
- Kyriakos Kamilaris
- Loukas Tsolakis
- Yiannakis Tziovanis
- Nikos Ttofis
The village of Frenaros, due to its fertile soil, is particularly famous for the cultivation of watermelons. More specifically Frenaros village is one of the most important quality producers of watermelons in Cyprus. Therefore, if you ever visit the village during the summer months do not forget to taste the local production of refreshing watermelons and of course the well known watermelon sweets and ice cream from a local shop. Of course the best time to visit the village is July where the nationwide Watermelon Festival is taking place. Watermelon visitors get the chance to taste plenty of fresh watermelons, watermelon ice cream, watermelon cocktails, local food and of course to get in touch with locals. This is an event not to be missed.
Even though many communities produce the well known traditional Cyprus Cheese "Halloumi", Frenaros “Halloumi Cheese” is distinguished for its yellowish color, rich butter aromas and exceptional taste. Frenaros traditional “Halloumi Cheese” is mostly made of sheep milk. Even nowadays plenty of families in the community continue the tradition of “Halloumi” making along with the well know byproduct cottage cheese called "Anari". The production of “Halloumi” begins by heating the milk in a traditional cooper pot called “Chartzin” and simultaneously adding the coagulant enzyme called “pithkia” which helps the milk to congeal. Once the milk congeals it is placed and pressed in a special wicker basket called “Talari” in order to remove the liquids called “noros”. Thereafter, it is cut into smaller pieces of approximately 250 grams each and cooked into the liquid byproduct “noros”. The “Halloumi” is finally cooked until it flows on the surface of “noros” and get the yellowish color which is one of its characteristics that distinguishes it from “Halloumi” Cheese made in other regions. Once cooked it is then lightly coated with sea salt and mint. “Noros” is finally reheated at high temperature to get the equally well-known cheese call “Anari”. Contrary to “Halloumi”, Anari is a very light white cheese. Halloumi as one of the most delicious traditional products of Cyprus that can be eaten fresh, fried and grilled. It is very delicious on pastas and finally if you ever visit Frenaros during the summer season do not forget to try it fresh with watermelon.
Frenaros has long being famous for the production of high quality potatoes. The fertile red soil of the area is particularly helpful for the growth of potatoes. Potatoes are grown in two seasons. The spring which is the main crop is planted between December and February and harvested from April until early June.
Its name derived from the fact that there are no rocks at Liopetri. The mediaeval church of Panayia is of great interest and the church of Agios Andronikos is believed to have been built around the 15th century. It has an octagonal dome and some remnants of its murals can still be seen in apse.
The “river” of Liopetri is a picturesque fishing settler. Nearby are the remains of a Venetian watch tower. The French poet Arthur Rimbeaud worked in this area in the 1880’s. The traditional craft of basket making can been watched here in Liopetri.
The Akhyronas Barn Museum is located in Liopetri Village, which is within the Famagusta district of Cyprus. On September 2, 1958, the Battle of Liopetri was fought in Liopetri Village between the British and EOKA, which stands for the National Organization of Cypriot Struggle (or Cypriot Fighters). During this battle, four EOKA fighters from Liopetri were killed. The Akhyronas Barn Museum is more of a national memorial site that was built to commemorate the battle and these Cypriots. This Akhyronas Barn Museum is geared towards Greek-Cypriots and the museum signs and text are in Greek with no translations.
Located just past the western edge of Ayia Napa is Potamos Liopetri, or Liopetri River. This small fishing enclave boasts some idyllic scenery and is a peaceful and relaxing area. Fishing here has pretty much gone unchanged for decades and the river is home to an eclectic mix of traditional and modern fishing vessels. A small sand and rocky beach and 2 excellent fish restaurants make this area well worth a visit. In springtime the surrounding countryside is abundant with wildflowers and it is easy to forget that the hustle and bustle of the centre of Ayia Napa is just a few miles away.
The medieval chapel of the Virgin Mary (Ayia Panayia) sits right in the middle of the Liopetri village , a reminder of how the village of Liopetri has developed over the years. Normally a church would be built on the outskirts of a village ! This chapel is built of stone, with columns and arches creating the traditional open air corridor at the front of the entrance to the chapel , familiar with so many Cyprus churches . It is still used for church services and once a year the service for the commemoration of the Virgin Mary takes place here. The whole square is sealed off and in the evening the whole village descends to listen to traditional music, watch dancers perform dancing from yesteryear and get together like they have been doing for decades.
Ayios Georgios (St George) chapel near the Liopetri river is an example of simplicity. It is built of stone , a few meters away from the Liopetri river banks.( Liopetri is a village a few kilometers away from Ayia Napa) The date it was built is not known but it is a very old chapel . Inside there is a simple icon stand and a few chairs to sit on . It is very serene chapel and a worthy place to visit for prayers .It is a place that provides a momentary sanctuary , away from the fast lane of life ,a place to sit inside or outside on the benches provided underneath the trees in the yard and reflect while relaxing.
The Chapel of Ayios Georgios is located north of the community. It is a small chapel with nave Byzantine dome.Built in the 15th-16th century. Located in the geographical zone Frenaros, but ceded the entire region, to create today the refugee settlement named "St. George Acheritou." When destroyed the old town of St. George in the 16th century, icons were transferred to Acheritou. Open during the feast day of St. George, on April 23, where many believers attend a pilgrimage.
It is the main church of the parish of the refugee settlement Ayios Georgios Acheritou-Vrysoulles. Located in the centre of the community where after the Turkish invarsion a small church was build. St.Demetrios was build in 1988 it is a standard three aisle vaulted basilica. It was consecrated by the late Archbishop of Cyprus Chrysostomos A on the 24th September 1989. The interior has been painted by the Serbian Vladivir Milits and a small section by the Kepola Brothers and donations were also made by the innabitants of the Community. In the church of Ayios Demetriou there are relics from the church of the now occupied Acheritou. There are icons of St.Georgiou (16th Century). The Vigin Mary (second half of 18th Century) smaller icons of the resurrection and the birth of Christ (19th century) silver chalice, bibles books and a silver cross (1912). The church celebrates on the 26th October the name day of St.Demetrios. The church also celebrates Ascention day (40 days after Easter) before the invarsion in 1974 the celebration took place in the church of the Assention in Acheritou.
As a token of honor to the people of the community who gave their lives for the freedom of Cyprus, the community Acheritou has erected a monument in honor of the mother of dead and missing person. The monument Mother Killed and Missing is opposite the Primary School.